Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘netbackup’ Category

As per http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10642/rcmmaint.htm :

The CATALOG command enables you to add records about RMAN and user-managed backups that are currently not recorded in the RMAN repository, or to remove records for backups that are recorded.

Which, though I find the usage of “catalog” a bit unfortunate given the fact that there is also a repository referred to as a “catalog”, the command is quite handy.

Unfortunately, all Oracle references I have found only provide instructions for disk backups. Today though, I came across a post referring to an undocumented method of performing the needed actions with a tape backup.

Essentially, one just needs to configure a tape channel and run the command. For me, this was:

RMAN> configure channel device type ‘SBT_TAPE’
2> parms ‘ENV=(NB_ORA_CLIENT=myserver01),SBT_LIBRARY=/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/libobk.so64’;

followed by the command:

RMAN> catalog device type ‘SBT_TAPE’ backuppiece ‘mydb_al_reog5k26_1_1_822267974’;

and poof, the backup piece was registered and available to use for a restore.

As this is an undocumented route, i don’t know the deeper implications of it (if any) and thus would not run straight to it as a first step in a prod restore. But, for the test situations I have run so far, it has performed eloquently.

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

While testing a new NetBackup client installation on a server, I received the error:

ORA-27028: skgfqcre: sbtbackup returned error
ORA-19511: Error received from media manager layer, error text:
VxBSACreateObject: Failed with error:
Server Status:  Communication with the server has not been initiated or the server status has not been retrieved from the serve

A version of the issue is listed here: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH51356

It ends up, with the install, the logs directory was overlooked. (And just creating a ‘logs’ directory isn’t enough, it needs to have the full/proper expected structure.) Once I created that, the backup carried on.

Read Full Post »

Trying to run a restore, I repeatedly hit:

ORA-19507: failed to retrieve sequential file, handle=”xxxx”, parms=””
ORA-27029: skgfrtrv: sbtrestore returned error
ORA-19511: Error received from media manager layer, error text:
Backup file <yyy> not found in NetBackup catalog

I’ve done a restore to this sever many times before.

~Verified that the server was a client in NB.
~Checked that the referenced backupset was in fact the one I intended for it to restore.
~Made sure the backupset existed on a tape which was in fact in the robot.
~Tested the robot to see if it was happy to do other tasks.
~Added NB_ORA_POLICY (which has occasionally helped in the past when NB acted odd) to the run block.

And then realized it was simply due to a typo…

My run block contained:

 run {
allocate channel t1 type “sbt_tape” parms ‘ENV=(ORA_CLIENT=myclient,NB_ORA_SERVER=myserver),SBT_LIBRARY=/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/libobk.so’;

instead of:

run {
allocate channel t1 type “sbt_tape” parms ‘ENV=(NB_ORA_CLIENT=myclient,NB_ORA_SERVER=myserver),SBT_LIBRARY=/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/libobk.so’;

*sigh*

more troubleshooting tips are here (“Redirecting a restore to a different client” pg 122).

Read Full Post »