This has nothing to do with Oracle or Oracle errors. However, it is related to the title of the blog…and it made my day:

I can’t give proper credit as I don’t know the source of the image; could I, it would undoubtedly be with a tip of the hat.


Trying to run dbua results in:

Could not get the database version from the “Oracle Server” component. The CEP file “/mypath/rdbmsup.sql” does not provide the version directive.

Check that the current db version is supported for direct upgrade to desired version with dbua. (note 870814.1 has the matrix for 11gR2)

Check that the oracle_sid is set.

Another one that had me banging my head for a bit:

I was trying to start a database and received:

ORA-09925: Unable to create audit trail file
Linux Error: 27: File too large
Additional information: 9925

Fine..i go to the audit directory and indeed, it is quite full. So, I:

*cleaned it up and tried again
*checked the space with df -h
*verified directory permissions
*got rid of the spfile, changed the pfile’s audit location
*altered the sid to use a different pfile in that home
*went through the steps in 1227964.1 (all that remained was checking the inode)

After all of this with no luck, it suddenly dawned on me that perhaps, instead of using the directory listed in the (s)pfile, it’s just using the default directory (http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28320/initparams014.htm). So I check one of the defaults and it indeed is also very full…Cleaned it up and all is well.

To find processes based on a grep and kill them:

kill $(ps aux | grep mytext | grep -v grep | awk ‘{print $2}’)

Or, a non-grep -v grep route:

kill $(ps aux | grep [m]ytext | awk ‘{print $2}’

While trying to start the listener from a newly created listener.ora file, I received this error:

TNS-01192: Missing SID_LIST_ value left of equation for SID description in LISTENER.ORA

I have before seen issues resolved by too many spaces/not enough spaces in tnsnames and listener.ora files; nonetheless, I was doubtful of the fix proposed by anton1968 at 2:58am. But, adding a few spaces to my listener.ora file solved the problem..

Original (replace dots with spaces):

…..(SID_LIST =
……..(SID_DESC =
……..(SID_NAME = mydb)
……..(ORACLE_HOME = /u01/app/oracle/myhome)
……..(GLOBAL_DBNAME = mydb.cookie))

Updated version:

……..(SID_LIST =
……..(SID_DESC =
……..(SID_NAME = mydb)
……..(ORACLE_HOME = /u01/app/oracle/myhome)
……..(GLOBAL_DBNAME = mydb.cookie))

I attempted to add a newly created database to an existing listener.ora file.

lsnrctl reload

followed by

lsnrctl status

and everything looked fine. The info was in the tnsnames.ora so all should be good for remote (non-sysdba) access.

However, when I tried to log in, I received:

ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist

Linux-x86_64 Error: 2: No such file or directory

After a few tests, I discovered: due to space limitations, this database’s oracle home was not put in the usual spot – I created a symbolic link in that spot to the true home.  And, I used the symlink in the listener.ora.

Once the listener.ora was updated with the true home location and reloaded the listener, I could connect just fine..